What size is a full mattress?
A full size bed frame is the next dimension up from a Twin (39×75”) or Twin XL (39×80”) – and is considerably larger. You may also see a full mattress referred to as “a double.” By American standards, the size of a full mattress is 54 inches wide x 75 inches long. The dimensions of a full size mattress give you an additional 15 inches of width and five inches in height than a Twin size mattress.
You may sometimes also see a “Full XL” size mattress, which is as long as a queen size mattress, adding another five inches onto the height (54” x 80”) to accommodate slightly taller sleepers who may not have the need or the space for added width.
Full size mattresses vs. queen
You might want a full size mattress set if:
- You sleep alone.
- You sleep with a partner, but prefer to snuggle closely.
- You don’t toss and turn much or need more than 27 inches of personal space.
- You are 5 foot 5 inches or shorter.
- You are buying a mattress for a teenager.
- You are buying a mattress for a young child to allow added room for bedtime story reading together.
You might want a queen size mattress set if:
- You are at least 5 foot 6 inches, but less than 6 feet tall (in which case, a king size bed may be more suitable).
- You are sharing a bed, but do not have enough room space for a king size bed.
- You’d like to sprawl out a little more with 30 inches of personal space.
- You’re outfitting a guest bedroom and have enough space to allow 22 inches of clearance on all sides.